So I was watching Gordon Ramsay’s new tv show and felt I had to recreate this. A very simple, zero-carb light meal, ready in 30 minutes.
Here is what you need (for 1 person):
- 1 Sirloin steak
- Olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Small carrot
- Small portion of cucumber
- 1 Baby gem lettuce, washed, drained and separated
- 1 tsp Palm sugar
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- 1 tsp Light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- A few splashes of fish sauce
- 1 Red chilli, chopped
- Bunch of coriander, chopped
Here is what you do:
- Take the steak out of the fridge about 20 minutes before cooking so that it is at room temperature. While you wait, prepare the other ingredients. For the carrot, after peeling, make carrot ‘ribbons’ by peeling into the carrot; for the cucumber, wash its skin and do the same (skin-on because it looks nicer and will be crunchier). These vegetable ribbons will absorb more of the salad dressing than if you’d cut them into chunks.
- Heat a pan without oil. Rub your steak with olive oil, salt and pepper. Fry for about 2-3 minutes either side, depending on how you like your meat. Personally, I think for this recipe, it’s best to be medium-to-well-done.
- Remove the steak from heat and let it rest for at least 5 minutes. While you’re waiting, mix the palm sugar, lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil and fish sauce in a bowl until blended.
- To serve: layer your vegetables, lettuce at the bottom. Trim the fat off of the steak and cut into 1 inch strips. Scatter over coriander and chillies, then drizzle with salad dressing.